Video games are gaining more and more popularity every day now. They have become an essential part of the entertainment industry since 1980, and ever since then, their value is only increasing. Since 2010 their commercial importance is increasing. Along with that, the industry is also widening its scope.
Various electronic systems are used to play these games. These systems are known as platforms. In the 1980s, video arcades were famous. These were coin-operated platforms that contained certain arcade games. However, with time as more affordable platforms with better features were introduced, these video arcades began losing their popularity. These new devices are video game consoles, laptops, desktop, or handheld gaming devices, to name a few.
Various mobile games available on smartphones are also a reason for the growing popularity of this industry. But one of the most important and one of the most popular features of the video game industry will be the gaming consoles. A video game console is a computer device that makes use of signals to enable one or more players to play videogames. One such type of gaming console is a home video game console.
It is a device primarily used by home gamers, as opposed to arcades or some other such commercial establishment. One of the most anticipated home video game consoles is the Playstation 5. It is yet to be released and is supposed to be the latest in the gaming console series developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment.
Playstation 5 Key Facts
Playstation 5 has been the most awaited and anticipated gaming console for a while now. With its launch date announced, it is currently the latest hot topic among gamers and collectors. Given below are a few key facts about this brand new home video game console.
- Playstation 5, also goes by the abbreviation PS5. It is a home videogame console device that has been developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. It has not been released yet.
- It is next in line with PlayStation 4 and is all set to be released in the latter part of 2020.
- This platform is supposed to be launched in two forms. One of these is the basic Playstation 5 system. It will be compatible with Blu Ray optical drive to provide the game with direct support and digital distribution through the Playstation store. Another one is a low-cost digital variation. It will be lacking the disc drive but will have the digital download support.
- The Playstation 5 features a customized solid-state drive. It is designed to enable high-speed data streaming. It will provide considerable graphical performance improvements.
- The Playstation 5, however, has the same AMD branded CPU as its predecessor, the Playstation 4.
- The Playstation 5 hardware also features a custom AMD GPU. It will enable ray tracing.
- It supports 4K resolution displays and high frame rates, along with new audio hardware that will provide real-time 3D sound effects.
- The Playstation 5 has backward compatibility with most of the Playstation 4 and Playstation VR games.
At the latest official PS5 event, it was stated that the new Playstation 5 would be released in the fourth quarter of 2020. It could be anywhere between October 1 to December 31. An exact specific date has not yet been released. But Sony has confirmed that the Playstation 5 release will be during the holidays of 2020 that is during Q4 of 2020.
It will be a clash with the Xbox series X release, which probably just increases all the anticipation associated with it. There have been certain rumors regarding this release date mentioning the exact date to be November 20, but the official statement from Sony remains the same. The new Playstation 5 release will be some time during the last three months of 2020.
But, for now, we have plenty of time for the release date. So check out my recent articles about games you could play now The Legends of Zelda if you have a pocket console. Or if you are the owner of the current-gen Playstation read about Apex Legends, it’s my favorites for now!
During the last games event which was in June, the new Playstation 5 prise was not revealed. It will probably not be revealed until very close to the launch. The original Playstation 2 launched for $299. Its successor the Playstation 3 launched for $499 while the next in line, Playstation 4 started at $399.
An estimated and widely guessed new Playstation 5 prise is around $400. It could be quite risky. But as the Playstation 5 has so many new and exciting features, this risk might be well worth it. In this nextgen gaming console, Sony is looking to put more focus on the value as opposed to the price. It also confirms suspicions that the Playstation 5 will be quite pricey.
The new Playstation 5 features the following specs:
- It has a CPU of 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5 GHz with variable frequency.
- The GPU is Custom RDNA 2- 20.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz with variable frequency.
- It features a memory of 16 GB GDDR6/256 bit RAM, 448GB/s.
- It has Custom 825 GB SSD storage.
- The expandable storage of Playstation 5 SSD Slot is NVMe type and USB HDD support.
- It features a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray optical drive.
Sony has chosen to show the PS5 in its vertical orientation, although it can be placed in its horizontal direction as well. In the vertical orientation, its white shell plunges to create a V that denotes the five that is supposed to symbolize the fifth generation Playstation Console.
The high, wide collar of the Playstation 5 design is separated from the black body of the machine by the finned gaps. These gaps are designed to allow the hot air generated by the console’s processing bits and pieces to escape. This feature is generally hidden in most designs. But in this particular design, Sony has decided to highlight it with some blue lighting which makes it seem all the more exciting and eye-catching.
The official dimensions of this Playstation 5 design have not been revealed yet, but the speculations are that it is pretty massive. This design also includes two slim slots or buttons towards the bottom of the console’s front. A standard USB socket and USB-C are present further up.
Playstation 5 vs Xbox Series X
Both of these gaming consoles have quite similar technology. They both use versions of AMD’s Ryzen series of central processing units which are built around the Zen 2 core architecture. The Playstation 5 CPU operates at up to 3.5 GHz while the Xbox Series X CPU can run at a peak speed of 3.8 GHz. It implies that the Microsoft Xbox Series X has a raw processing advantage.
The PS5 uses 36 compute units running up to 2.23 GHz and offering 10.28 Teraflops. The Xbox Series X has a GPU that features 52 compute units offering 12.155 Teraflops. It might seem like the Xbox Series X has another advantage, but evidently, the PS5 runs faster. The Playstation 5 SSD is 825 GB which can send 5.5 GB per second of raw data or 9 GB per second of compressed data to the console’s CPU. The Xbox Series X comes with a larger capacity of 1TB SSD, but its raw throughout is less than half at 2.4 GB/s.
Both of these gaming consoles have extremely good features, and it is hard to determine a clear winner. The manufacturers gain advantages by approaching from slightly different angles.
What will I be playing
The Playstation 5 has backward compatibility with Playstation 4 and Playstation VR games. Hence most of the Playstation 5 games already present in these consoles will also be available in the console. In the latest Playstation game event, however, a list of games that will be available on this console has been announced.
- Destruction All-Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV)
- Astro’s Playroom (JapanStudio)
- Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar Games)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales (Insomniac Games)
- Horizon Forbidden West (Guerrilla Games)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games)
- Deathloop (Bethesda)
- Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV)
- Bugsnax (Young Horses)
- Goodbye Volcano High (KO-OP)
- Returnal (Housemarque / XDEV)
- Ghostwire (Tokyo (Bethesda)
- Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio)
- Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital)
- Godfall (Gearbox Publishing / Counterplay Games)
- Hitman 3 (IO Interactive)
It is not the complete list of Playstation 5 games that will be available on the gaming console. Further information will be provided on this very soon.
Personally, I wait for the Horizon: Forbidden West game. And I will definitely write a review when it would be released. Check this beautiful game trailer:
The Playstation 5 is the new gaming console that is set to release in the last few months of 2020 by Sony Interactive Entertainment. It is the most anticipated and awaited gaming console of the generation so far and has unique features. It will be released in two versions, one supporting the Blu-ray disc while another will be a digital form that will not be supporting the disc feature.
This gaming console will be backwardly compatible with its predecessor the Playstation 4 and Playstation VR games while also featuring a series of new games. There are many guesses and speculations about its various features as well as the exact release date and price. Playstation 5 has a sleek and elegant design that makes it so much awe-inspiring and eye-catching. But till the release of the new console from Sony, you can read more articles on our site, or play more games at allnewgclub.com.